Tuesday, March 29, 2011

For the Record

I would like to put this info out there in case you ever stop by my house and proceed to wonder.... I do indeed wash my floors! Not that you can tell by looking. Monday morning I was feeling pretty good, the house was decently clean. The kitchen and living room floors had been washed on Saturday afternoon and at 7:45 I was already done scrubbing my bathroom including the floor (hey Laura, I do clean my bathroom! :) ) when...

I stopped short of cleaning the bathtub to help Cara go pee. And wouldn't you know it, the floors weren't even dry yet and somehow she managed to pee between the seat and the bowl so that I soon had a large puddle racing across my (slanted) floor. And while I was getting a rag to clean up the mess I heard a great big crash from the kitchen area. The kind of crash that immediately makes you think of the bowl your other 2 year old was eating his cereal out of a couple of minutes ago.

Actually, he wasn't eating the cereal because he was trying to tell me it was "gucky". Maybe he was bringing it to the bathroom so I could help him finish it, maybe he was bringing it to the bathroom to convince me to flush it down the toilet, maybe he was bringing it too the bathroom with the hopes he would trip and tip it all over my clean flooring so he wouldn't have to finish it. I"ll never know. But as I got yet another rag and went on my hands and knees to clean it up it somehow came about that he informed me, "it's your fault!" Like, how?!

And while I was carrying the mess back to the kitchen sink he wailed, "don't throw away my foodies!" It's probably what I get for feeding my children sugar laced cereal like Frosted Flakes :)

So this morning I was talking to a friend on the phone and she asked how my floors were this morning and I happily told her there had been no incidents.

Yet.... because no sooner had I hung up the phone and Cam whipped a book all frisbee like and took out a cup full of apple juice that was still standing on the table. I heartily dislike apple juice spills. Especially flung far and wide, apple juice here, apple juice there, incredibly sticky apple juice spills.

I'm sure there's some frisbee elite athlete out there who would have been impressed with the throw and resulting bulls eye. But me? Not so much. Cam just stood there looking at me, in fact, I think he quietly mumbled an, "oops!, I didn't mean too" wondering if I was going to fall apart.

I didn't. Actually we laughed together and for the next few hours I pondered grace and mercy. Undeserved reprieve of deserved punishment. Yet I can't seem to type out what my thoughts were exactly, and I've been trying for a while now. So, I'll leave it with a verse of scripture.

Psalm 86:5
For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You.

4 comments:

Brody and Carolyn said...

I think those are some of the best moments in parenting. An opportunity to teach Christ to your children.
I'm waiting for that day when I have more than one child and I actually have to wash my floors more than once a week. :P

Greta and Gary said...

Then I won't tell you how long it's been since I washed my floors;) Just don't look too closely at the floor here since your floors are probably cleaner. I agree with you on the apple juice though. Sticky, sticky mess!

Michelle Vandepol said...

good job with the living out the grace. thanks for the reminder. may your floors have a period of rest now ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh Leanne, I love coming over dirty floors and all :) Its murphey's law....clean floor = spilled something or other.
Love ya!

LVM