I wasn't going to do it. It made so much sense to keep them in their cribs. They like the cribs and it makes it easy for them to continue sharing a room as they don't crawl into eachother's crib at night. But it all started when I took Cody's crib down so I could steam clean the carpet with Oma and Opa's handy dandy rug cleaner. (It worked beautifully but the carpet was so dirty it took me probably nearly 5 hours before I gave up and said clean enough - see the nice lines in the carpeting?) Anyway, I could hardly believe how much room there was with only one crib. I was envisioning taking some toys upstairs and giving them their own space to play- babies for her, cars for him, it's what they play) This cute little guy is such a cheerful helper. The others are too but a couple of them had fevers too high to care, 102 and 103 for Sam and Cody.

Steve came home and over supper I mentioned this next idea and like the kind loving husband he is he took the kids and they went to it pulling the second crib apart.

There are some things that even a fever can't keep you away from :) Tools would be one.

I'm not sure who was more excited, the twins or Cam but what a happy bunch. We used the bed we had originally bought for Leah when Cam needed a crib and Sam went to the toddler bed. We set it up backwards so Cara could use the wall as a head board and Cody could have something to keep him from falling off his end. Cam was a little worried that Cody had a girl blanket (Leah's old one) but we put it stripes up instead of the flowers and he decided it would be okay. :)

The bunk beds came with these two Sears foam mattresses which we had stacked double on Cam's bed so we took one from Cam and gave the twins one, shopped the house for whatever bedding was available and had 2 very hyper, happy campers. "No more monkeys jumping on the bed!" as their little feet itched to do some little hops and then a big jump down to the floor :)
I thought it would take a while for them to settle but they were tired and within minutes were fast asleep under their own blankets. We'll see how they do overnight. And don't think for a minute that I haven't considered what a pain it will be to try and change the bed if one of them pukes.

They look so tiny again. It's hard to believe they're big enough to even consider getting rid of the cribs. The last 2 years, 5 months and 12 days has truly flown by.
Hopefully this will work for now and we'll start keeping our eyes open for another bunk bed! For now we have a crib and a toddler bed to give away. Anybody have a need?
2 comments:
WEll over here is WI we might be considering our needs about AUGUST
I could completely understand your reasoning with each paragraph...starting with the discovery of what extra space does to one's sense of 'clear living' (getting rid of clutter is so freeing!!). And the heart=warming sight of seeing those two precious little bodies in one big bed, and the elder son worrying about the distinctly feminine blanket being used on his brother (have one of those that would have worried too) AND I laughed outright at the thought of the pain of changing sheets for one sick child (and one possibly slumbering soundly on the other end!)--even thouigh I know it will not be funny at 1am. Seriously, our lives our so mirrored in so many ways...and i love the 'taste of things to come' that you always give! Love, Jeane`
Post a Comment