Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Swimming Lesson Update

He's no Michael Phelps... but I'm thinking that's for the best.

Sometime last week I informed him I was no longer going to sit by the edge of the pool. I took the twins along so he knew it was no bluff.
Thankfully my cousin Laura has kids swimming at the same time and sweetly offered to watch the twins when I still needed to walk him to his group and touch his shoulders instead of hold his hand.
The next day he informed me on the way to lessons that I could stay on the bench he could go to his teacher himself. And that was it.

He still locks his knees when he's sincerely trying to bob all the way under but he's NOT crying.
He still puts his face up quickly after getting it wet but he IS doing his glides and floats.

Hooray for Sam!

Yesterday on the way to lessons we had a few things to do and so lots of time to sit in the van and ... anticipate. After we dropped Cara, Cody and Cam off at Gramma's (I value my sanity and 1 hour of swimming lessons + extra little ones does not = huge doses of sanity so I do cave every so often) and we were heading for the pool Sam piped up from the back seat, "Mama, my...heart is.....
My heart is... (his hand is wandering about his chest trying to console the accelerated pattering)
My heart...is... feeling a little nervous. But it's not 'cause I'm scared 'cause I love swimming lessons now!"

I don't know if we would have gotten here if Aunty Shelly wouldn't have practiced with him in the pool at home. Thanks Shelly!