Tuesday, June 9, 2009

catching up

Going back almost a week, I'm excited to tell you about the surprise visit I had on Thursday night. My sister in law, Marianne stopped by with some yummy baking for us! The baking in itself was fantastic, the visit was fantastic-est! Marianne lives in Ontario and it seems like between our two family's schedules and the 3 hour time difference we rarely get the chance to chat. It was wonderful to spend those extra moments with her. Thanks for the squares and cookies, Marianne! The rice crispies were the favorite and a good reminder that popular snacks don't have to be a lot of work.

Things have again been very busy around here. I usually get my chance to update the blog in the evening but the babies have been staying up late. I miss my quiet evenings! Today was also a busy day. The kids were all kind of yonky and I was a bit tired. I decided to do something special and take Leah and Sam to do groceries with me. They haven't come along in a while and today I remembered why. First they decided to play mom and dad and proceeded to have their own shopping trip. They wandered away from the buggy, discussing their lists and choosing things off the shelves at random. I put a stop to that and so they proceeded to hopping about in a rather energizer bunny fashion. I was getting those looks, you know the one you give the crazy mom who goes shopping with her hyper (or whiny) kids, the- I'm sure glad I left my kids at home - look. Well, I ended the shopping trip with one of those, "I'm hugely embarassed but that was really funny" moments. We had moved into the produce section and Leah and Sam were drooling over all the sweet smelling summer fruits. I gave in and started to load a bag with nectarines all the while saying, "don't touch, put that back etc" Suddenly Leah says, "Mama, Sam just licked it and put it BACK!" The poor gentleman standing there, I'm sure he'll never eat his fruit unwashed again!! So, I stopped loading up my fruit and gave Sam the don't touch, never lick, absolutely do not put licked fruit back speech. He waited until I was done and then said in the sweetest tone, "I didn't mean to lick it. I just wanted to smell it and my tongue sticked out." That was one of those moments that is balm to the stressed mind.


On to other things... who do you beat up and chew on when your brother is already in bed? Your Papa, of course.

She also has a dolly (thanks again, Aunty Mary) that she loves to slobber all over and it made for a great snuggle too.

Time to continue on here. Both babies are in bed, screaming loudly and getting very sweaty.

I'm so glad I can tune them out. Poor neighbors.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Margaret Van Der Heide said...

I have been following your blog for a while, and have really enjoyed getting to know your family. Today I just had to share. I got a really good laugh out of Sam and the fruit. What a moment to remember!
Keep up the great work Leanne. You are an awesome mom.

LeanneM said...

I'll be washing those grapes in my fridge ;) Glad you got a laugh in today! xox, L
Brian says: "I'll teach Sam how to taste test instead of lick test."
(Not sure that'd be such a HELP to matters ;))

Greta and Gary said...

Had to laugh at Sam!!!! What a monkey! Love the pics of Cara slobbering all over her daddy.

And don't worry- we didn't hear you from over here:)

Cathy Noordegraaf said...

actually a taste test might prove to be quite economical yet. you would have to buy the fruit that had a bite out of it.....but it would weigh less, so it wouldn't cost as much. Brian might be on to something here.....;)

Anonymous said...

you have me laughing!!!
i love their creative answers :)
Elena