Thursday, June 23, 2011

Littles

One of the exciting things about being outside more has been watching the kids and their fascination for bugs. Cara is quite enamored and will squat (like only little kids can :) ) and watch a bug or snake (worm) for a long time. Occasionally she'll get brave and cup her hand on the ground and see if she can get an ant or beetle to crawl up.

But Cam? Much to my surprise he is VERY brave when it comes to the creepie crawlies. At least the little ones. The other day he came inside carrying this poor moth. I told him that when you touch the wings they get damaged so the moth probably couldn't fly anymore. He pondered that only a quick second before deciding that wasn't so bad because at least it couldn't fly away from him. It was his friend and entertainment for a good long while that morning.



Yesterday we found a pupa for what I would assume would be a moth while weeding at Gramps and Grammas. I showed it to Cam who promptly picked it up and put it on the curb. We talked about disecting it but I (who at one time thought butchering chickens with my brother in law was great fun) just couldn't bring myself to cut it apart with the trowel. I mean, when you pushed on one end the tail wiggled. The chickens were dead when I examined their insides, the worm/caterpillar thing not. Anyway Cam quickly assured me he would do it, gave it a good wack and proceeded to peel the outside layer in order to examine the squiggling creature inside. It was neat to see. I just didn't expect him to be so interested.


Just wait until he gets to butcher chickens with Uncle Les and finds out Uncle Les can do it quick enough so you can hold the heart still beating in your hand! Sorry if that grosses some of you out but there are certain privileges that come with being a country kid and getting your meat fresh, and I don't mean packaged at a plant and shipped to the store fresh.



2 comments:

Krista said...

hahaha..... can't wait to show him his "moment" on your blog. But he's so proud of that fact isn't he?

Marian said...

Can we come and watch then??
Can't wait to see Rich faint!! Tee hee!