Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Something you may not know about me, I like to create. Particularly, I enjoy sewing.
Now, "enjoy" is a relative term as I go about sewing in a rather perfectionist style. This means that before the project is completed I usually have driven myself totally crazy and given myself a headache.

But the end result so is worth it. For someone who more often than not shops in the thrift stores, (and that is a choice, I enjoy repurposing and saving things from the dump, it's become a lifestyle for me) sewing something and wearing it brand new and usually somewhat one-of-a-kind is a grand experience. (And you know I only went to the clearance section and found material that would work - it goes hand and hand with the thrift shopping :) )

So, why am I suddenly sharing this with you? Well, I told you I enjoy creating. It's a gift from God. A talent He's blessed me with. So my hope is that by sharing these things with you, God gets the praise.

Please note, I did not say I was blessed with the gift of being creative. Truly, I am not. I need to find an idea I like and then I copy it to the best I can. I am not able to design anything interesting in the least bit.

On to project numero uno. Cute leggings. Found some plain brown leggings for the nice price of $6.


I took some scrapbooking stain and a piece of coral flimsy stuff that I chopped off a beautiful dress from Leah (that was a project in it's own, wanted the dress longer and so substituted the flimsy stuff for coral broadcloth and lots of gathers) that was just waiting to become something else useful and got this mess. Lots of brown scrapbooking stain everywhere but I now had two pieces of brown flimsy material just right for making cute flowers.

Added some elastic and the flowers and got some leggings I was pretty happy with. (The flowers still have a bit of corally look on this picture, oh well)

Then I went and washed my hands and the stain washed right off. The warning bells went off and I realized those tights + cute flowers might be a wear once experience. It seemed as though the stain might wash out the first wash.
But I didn't even have to wait that long to find out. That night I went out to go get groceries.
It was raining.
I came home and the flowers were showing their true color once again.



And you know what Steve said, "why don't you spray paint them? You spray paint everything else!"
You know, he's a real smart man. I think I'll probably try that yet. :) It beats trying to pull out the million stitches I put in to try and make those flowers stay for good.


7 comments:

Martin and Wieska said...

What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Cute! But I'm waiting for a full report with pictures on project #2....... which I happen to know wil be a worthy read/looksee:)

LeanneM said...

VERY cute, even with the real colour showing through! ;) hug, L2

LeanneM said...

oh yes, and lots of non-wash-offable stain at our new house right now... :)

Greta and Gary said...

very cute:) Try staining the flowers in tea- I've never tried it myself but I remember my Grandma saying one time that she stained her doilies in tea.

Michelle Vandepol said...

you are so clever!
great post :)

Jennifer Lynn said...

lol...your husband sounds like my husband "...you spray paint everything else!!"