Tuesday, October 26, 2010

skirt #2

Because I don't have pictures of #1 yet.
This skirt really was quite basic compared to the first skirt and it whipped together really quickly up until trying to hem it.

One side seam gathered, the other seam straight. Pretty basic. Except I didn't have a pattern and so I still have no idea how to cut the fabric so that the hem ends up somewhat normal.

Side seam looks cool. Excuse the hole in the nylons. Velcro runners are fantastic for getting lots of kids' shoes on fast but brutal on the nylons.
But I just can't seem to get the hem to sit right no matter how much fudging I do. I didn't actually realize it sat so crookedly until I saw these pictures. The skirt is lined and the lining is sewn to the skirt itself for a bit of that bubble look that is popular. Just not too much bubble.

But if you have any good ideas how I might still fix this let me know because I didn't get to the slip stitching yet and so I can still get in there and try to do something about it.
Or maybe, Krista, Mom, Leanne or Shelly it didn't look so bad in person?
Ps. That's almost a permanent state in my living room. I think the kids fill their arms, hide in the bedroom and as soon as I head downstairs with all the toys I've gathered off the floor, they dump the next load right back on it.

7 comments:

LeanneM said...

Well, since my visit with you was across the room, and I only managed to get a glimpse from over the table at the gathered side, I can't comment other than that you impress me :) In the middle picture the hem looks like it's meant to go up in front of the gathered side? I look forward to inspecting more closely and bringing my fabric and myself over for you hee hee ;)

LeanneM said...

PS the kitchen floor's clear :D

Michelle Vandepol said...

my fave skirt on u! so cute :)

Amy said...

Hey Leanne,
I love that skirt! You are so creative! Definately a gift. I think from the pictures that the skirt kinda looks like the hem should be like that. I don't think it looks bad at all! But that's just my opinion, and I haven't actually seen the skirt.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sis!

I didn't realize when you were talking about the hem last night that you thought it should be totally straight. I think the little dip near the one side looks totally cool, and like part of the skirt. It looks great on you (but you would look good in a burlap sack I'm sure) and the hem is straight along the back and everywhere else - my vote is to go with the look you've created. It looks fantastic! - Love Sis Kris

Marian said...

I would leave it as it is!!

Anonymous said...

I want to see how skirt #1 looks on you cuz it looked pretty cool unfinished. Love skirt #2 on you.. might have to come over to get some ideas from you. Isn't it fun when you try something different and it turns out? - your stroopie partner in crime