Monday, June 3, 2013

surprise special night

We ended up with only the oldest two at home tonight so we ate some supper outside and then heave-ho'ed the canoe to the slough.

We were able to paddle all the way to Menzies before a tree all the way across forced us to turn around.  It was such a beautiful, peaceful night with no bugs.  There were even some excited folks out who were hooting about some deer in their back yard!

I made some folks smile as I sat, on the bottom of the canoe, cushioned by Steve's sweater and my own life jacket as I leaned against the thwart with my feet up on the edge, with Leah and Steve bringing us back home.  Leah called it lazy.  I called it unselfish.  She did want to paddle after all, and giving her the seat to herself was easier than having her paddle from in between my knees like we did all the way there :)

After some cake, coke and Odyssey, they're finally tucked into bed.  Anticipating sleeping in because they get a ride to school tomorrow.

The only disappointment?  Hauling the canoe on my left arm and the camera around my neck all the way to the slough only to find I had left the battery at home when I tried to take the first picture :)

1 comment:

Marian said...

Ha! And my first question was going to be....'and no pictures to show for it??'