Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This is a small part of a devotional emailed to me this morning.  What a vivid picture!  How many times have I kept tipping the jug, hoping to fit 1 1/2 cups into a 1 cup measuring cup day!
 
By Glynnis Whitwer

To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:  Ecclesiastes 3:1

"So when the recipe called for 1-1/2 cups of milk, I directed one girl to get the two-cup measuring cup from the cabinet. She made it to the right cabinet, but picked out the one-cup measuring cup instead.
Instead of correcting, I showed my daughters how to make that size work. But I also wanted them to learn why we had to make the change. I wanted them to learn that you can't put 1-1/2 cups of liquid into a 1-cup container.

As I thought about this principle of measurement, I realized it doesn't work with milk and it doesn't work in life. Yet so many of us try to cram 12 hours of work into 8 hours of our day. We have more books than can fit in the bookcase and more clothes than closet.

For years I tried to put too much into my schedule. "Yes" slipped off my tongue with little thought and no prayer. I'd collapse at night, exhausted and annoyed.

My life had to be simplified, which meant reducing the demands on my time. A year of cutting commitments resulted in a manageable, more focused and more productive life. It took making hard decisions, but it was worth the peace I gained.

That year I learned I have exactly enough time to do what God wants me to do"

I edited this a bit as when I read the part I posted it seemed to end pretty abruptly.  Not an indepth solution by any means.  Just something to think over.
 

2 comments:

LeanneM said...

Timely reminder.
Love you
OL

HeatherVMS said...

Very good reminder! Thanks for posting!