Tuesday, December 6, 2011

On having friends over to play

The best kind of friend to have over to play is the one that brings new toys with. Bonus points go to the friend that comes with a well equipped tool box. For instance, Cam had a friend over to play yesterday who came with a tool box that had a hammer, a plier, a level, a pad of papers (for sketching blue prints or making estimates I'm not sure), a screw driver, a couple screws or two, a few nails, a "construction man's" pencil and yup, even a bullet.

My three kids plus this friend disappeared to play in Cara and Cody's room. There was the typical giggling and screeching but once I heard the tools "fire" up (don't worry, no actual power tools) I thought I better head on over and make sure there were a few rules established. You know, no nails in the wall, don't touch the wooden bed frame etc. What I found slightly surprised me but since it wasn't really harmful I let them continue. They had hauled all teh blankets and mattress out of the way and were hammering nails into the slats that hold the mattress up. They had only ripped out four staples leaving one slat free to swing around but really, it was a replacement one that we'd only fixed with a regular stapler so I wasn't totally surprised to see it hadn't survived the construction/ destruction gang.

What blew me away, however, was the fact that I totally missed this aspiring artist's creation. Didn't notice it until Steve asked about it at the kids' bedtime later on.
If you consider the white trim is actually chair rail you will observe this sketch goes as close to the roof as a 4 year old standing on a pile of stuff on the bed can reach. Cam was quick to admit he'd used the pencil to draw a man building a house on the grass.

Too bad, I was ready to give the other kid's mom an earful!

(just kidding)

9 comments:

Marian said...

I totally understand the point that you didn't see the writing on the wall, 'cause I'm exactly the same! I see the kids, the mess that they make on the floor, on the beds, etc, but the walls seem to get past my observation...until way later, or another kidlet, or the hubby notices that.
Don't all these indoor days just about drive you bananas???
Grrr...fun stuff!

Michelle Vandepol said...

cute story! woo hoo for magic eraser

Anonymous said...

Just by describing what was in the tool kit I guessed who the other kid is :) Sounds like they had fun! So cute how kids mimic their dads. Oh, and the other kid would not even think of drawing on walls :)
Patricia

Anonymous said...

So I just showed this to TYLER - who happened to know just what this might be about. Here is the direct quote: "Mom that is Cammy and he was just writing on there by himself with NO ONE to help. He was drawing on the wall with NO ONE to help! He was just checking how high the wall was, but don't worry, his Mom is not like you, she doesn't care. She likes it when Cammy draws for her becasue he is going to build her new house!

Anonymous said...

This post had me smiling already... but Krista's end to the story made me laugh out loud!

Leanne O said...

me too! :)

Jeane` said...

Yet another reason I call Mr. Clean's "Magic Eraser" cleaning product "the other man". I spend a lot of time scrubbing walls with "him"! (You DO have Magic Eraser products up there, don't you??? If you do not, I am sending them to you!!)

Marian said...

Hey Leanne,
Are you sure there wasn't a little red wagon in the driveway with a sawzall? Interesting what that family thinks is good clean fun!! Haha!

Leanne O said...

this is getting funnier and funnier!