Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Gingerbread House

Teaching children to share and be patient is a tough job in any circumstance... but it seems to get even a little tougher when there's one gingerbread house to decorate and 5 willing  eager exterior designers. 
And we don't even want to talk about what happens when you first build the house and then the house falls apart when ONE child accidently cracks, pushes, leans, drools, knocks etc a piece of said house. We try to control our tongues and disappointment... but we aren't always successful!
I thought it was a fair enough suggestion to split up the pieces and the candy and let everyone have at their own section.  It worked well.  We still had to practice patience and sharing - the icing bag went round and round the table as everyone dabbed dots and lines of icing where they thought it looked the best.
BUT everyone had their OWN space!! :)

As for the house itself?  It will probably stay in it's prefab state until it's devoured. I'm thinking those heavy wall and roof slabs would need something along the lines of the hot glue gun to keep them together.  Might as well just let each child eat their beautiful designs!
 Mid decorating I pinterest-ed "gingerbread houses" just to inspire them.
Cruel or encouraging?  :)

Maybe the best thing to come out of this was the little lego table with the two eager children creating their own gingerbread house.
And please, if you know me at all, I have no desire to be encouraged to let each child make their own house out of graham crackers.  Do you know how much patience is required for the Mom to talk each child through sliding graham crackers that refuse to stay in place????  I do!! Tried it once.  It required much more patience than I have.

4 comments:

Marian said...

Ok, I wont say graham cracker houses, but I will tell you what I found this year...a gingerbread kit that had 5 miniature houses...BINGO!!! Kids were so happy :)
Just sayin'

Leanne O said...

and you still had to put them together??!!! Although I did see a suggestion for hot glue as opposed to icing to hold it together.

Yes, thanks for that! ;)

Amanda said...

The key is: mom glues the houses together the night before so they can dry before little hands help! Also a plastic container inside helps to hold the sides up and the roof on until it dries! :-)

LeanneM said...

Ours was glued together for 1/2 day before they got to touch it too...worked like a charm :D Although 2 compared to 5...enough said ;)