Monday, May 28, 2012

On Doing Jumps

Friday night Steve made two boys' day and took Sam and Caleb and the twins to the bike/skate park nearby.  The two boys had lots of fun.... for the first 10 minutes.  After that things went a little awry.  (How do YOU pronouce that super cool word - a-RYE or AW-ree?)  Too bad I'm too lazy to figure out how to do a quick poll.

Back to the boy with the fat lip.  Apparently he wasn't quite ready and he went face over handles without a second's chance to get his hands out and up.  Fat lips are always hard for me to get proper perspective on camera but rest assured, this lip is fat-and then some!  It also has some of those little blood spots that come with a decent bruising?  You know, the ones that make you add an extra ouch when you see them?  Well, this picture is Saturday morning.  The lip was fat, he talked a little funny but let it also be known that he hopped out of bed relatively early and came to show me.  "It's fat," he pointed out, "but I still want to go back.  I just know what jump not to do next time."
 By yesterday morning the swelling was gone down enough that I could actually see the internal damage.  This doesn't look so bad but the two front teeth got a good knock loose, the gums above the front four are purple and swollen up to the top and the sore above his teeth actually kind of looks like raw hamburger.  Nice, I know.
Now, I wasn't there went it happened so I have to be a bit careful in my storytelling but there are a few things I would like to point out.  Providential.... there's Steve with a screaming, jumping Sam and a man comes running over... "I'm a dentist, can I help?" !!!  (Sam didn't let him near his mouth and later on when I asked him why not he said, "I didn't want to get blood on him - there was SO much blood!"  I told my family it was probably a good thing I wasn't there.  I would have pinned him down, tied him up if I had to - you don't kick a free dentist visit in the teeth!  Anyway, this gentleman's opinion was that considering it was Sam's baby teeth they would probably be alright.  Another thing, it was close enough to a resturant that Steve could boot over and get some napkins and ice to do their work.

Later on when I tried to describe the event to Krista, you know, a rejected dentist, a kind waitress, 3 wide eyed kids, an overwhelmed dad and a hysterical Sam.... well, is it any wonder that we laughed like crazy women when we thought about Steve stuffing the twins, Sam and Sam's bike all into the double stroller and booking it for home? 

ps.  I'm now collecting bottles to return for recycle just to replace the rolls of paper towel Sam went through after he got home!  ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw...poor Sam! and yes you painted a good picture of poor Steve's trek home!
Patricia

Anonymous said...

OK this is just the beginning lol....better get a free pass to the Emergency Dept at the hospital if they still give them out.

from a mom with five boys :-)

Anonymous said...

Poor Sam!
I did laugh though, when I read how Steve took the crew home ~ I could imagine his brother doing the same thing! :)
~Marianne