Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You've heard it said...

...necessity is the mother of invention?

You remember this? Today I decided to finish this project.
This is what I started with. If you so choose you may check out the reflective bike stickers and remnants of click-your-seat-belt stickers I foolishly added when I was a wee one. (Actually I was probably old enough to know better but sad to say, I did lots of dumb things back then.) It also had those nice brassy looking hardware.
Seeing as I had already painted the drawers a few weeks back all I had to do today was haul that puppy outside. Oh yeh, I think I had kind of forgotten that part. It wasn't too difficult to get it to the stairs but it didn't take me too long to figure out I would probably do more damage than good if I tried to get it down the stairs by bumping it along. For 2 seconds I considered calling Steve to see if he could stop by at home to give me a hand. I quickly dismissed it as a waste of his time. For another .5 of a second I considered approaching the next guy to pass the house on the sidewalk out front for help. I quickly dismissed it as foolish. So I did what I still think was my only other option. Out of necessity I invented myself a ramp. Of a sort.

I went outside and found a piece of plywood that was guaranteed to fit under the dresser. I moved the dresser back 8 feet (the plywood was a little long) slid the plywood into place and then slid the dresser onto the plywood.

You with me? I was pretty tickled with the whole business.

And then Sam chronicled this.
Please excuse my painting shorts. I think they're celebrating their 16th birthday this summer.
Let me tell you, that dresser slid down slick as... well I was going to say snot. Is that gross? Because I just said it. Please excuse me but that ramp did work swell.
And tonight, my incredibly strong husband carried it right back into the house (all by himself!)where I reinstalled the drawers.

I'm a happy lady. I'm sure glad we didn't go spend good money on a new dresser.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!! You are amazing for sure! Great paint job! I'm so glad you got it outside witout hurting yourself.... or your teeth. Did you think of that? Like really, that dresser coming at you like a stealth fighter jet and knocking you right over as it slid over you and Sam, the great photographer, like a knife smooting butter on a slice of bread - it's completly level when finished and all the holes are filled. Like, yeah, not so safe.... I think I would rather of seen you politely ask the guy walking down the street (in his boobs and his bellybutton) to please come in and help you. Anyways, I can't wait to come and see your stellar piece of work. It truly looks FANTASTIC! I'm not lying I no-do-poo. (that was my word verification for this post) ever heard that word before? nodopoo - I think I might use it - and until you hear me say it - you'll be wondering who left you this whacky comment!

Marian said...

You know Leanne, it never crossed my mind as I read your post, actually thought you had a great idea, but the last anonymous commenter has a real point. Your teeth should mean more to you than a beautiful dresser...I mean...beautiful teeth...beautiful dresser, which do you covet most?
Love your life stories, keep them coming!!

Leanne O said...

as far as I know only one person leaves me whacky anonmous comments! :)

Martin and Wieska said...

i love it!!! nice work :)

Adventures in the Land of Van Maren said...

wow....you never cease to amaze me!! looks great!

LVM

The Feijens said...

That is one sweet piece of work Leanne. I'm impressed...and you are getting very innovative with moving things. I moved a huge shelf the other day and snapped it in to places. How rustic is that?

Krista said...

Hey! Nice work! by the way... are those the original hardware pieces for that dresser? They sure look nice all painted up! (I'm a wee bit jealous - and I for sure won't show this to Les - the bunk beds look great now too, but I think it was a whole lot more work, plus I made my husband do it all! - you put me to shame I think. Anyways, it does look really great and I'm happy for you. Love Krista

Elena said...

love love love the dresser :) nicely done!

Greta and Gary said...

Great job on the dresser:) You should have just given me a ring and I could have packed up everyone & came over to help you;)

Michelle Vandepol said...

super fab job! ♥ the pint sized documentation

Anonymous said...

Looks very chic! I live only a hop and skip away too Leanne!

LeanneM said...

Looking beautiful, pretty lady! I'll have to come see it sometime ;)